Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Zone of Proximinal Development is a Key to a Kids's Success

Have you ever heard of "Zone of Proximal Development"?

I hadn't until I was talking with my daughter's teacher, however, I realized I had been doing it.

It is actually really cool because you can do more of it when you are aware f it.

The term "zone of proximal development" was created by a Russian child psychologist Lev Vygotsky. Is the range, or zone when a child is almost ready or just before the "light bulb is turned on". Therefore, a little adult or mentor-ship is needed for the child to be successful.

This is the exact way to identify a child's instructional level. Is your child's classroom set up to meet your child's needs and the different needs of other children?

Probably before you are able to answer that question you may need more information about how "proximal development" works.

An example of one child's zone of proximal development:

When my daughter is practicing her violin and is having difficulty learning a new part of her music piece. I give her time to practice with "trial and error". Then, if she is still having difficulty remembering the next note I may hum the tune. Usually, she will hear the note and and then coordinate what she heard with the note on her violin.



I supported her interest and helped her to build her ability.

Here are some keys to working within your child's zone of Proximal development...

1. Let your child get slightly uncomfortable with their practice.

2. Follow your child's interest. (I believe children are naturally curious. When given opportunities and resources for learning children are automatically drawn to learn).

3. Limit the steps your child needs to be successful achieving his/her goal or completion of a task.

4. When your child does get frustrated (frustration is often the result of anxiety because he/she doesn't know what to do next), you can...

a. give your child a moment to emotionally collect him/her self before moving on but, ...

b. encourage him/her to stick with the task

c. demonstrate what next to do

d. share with your child a similar situation or event to make a connection to something your child has mastered or knows how to do.

I hope this helps you to enjoy more fully the time you spend with your child and share in the curiosity and joy of learning!


** A summary of ideas from Einstein Never Used Flash Cards by Kathy Hirsh-Pasek and Roberta Michnick Golinkoff


1 comment:

Creative Junkie said...

that's some great info, Jen! My problem is catching my youngest in the zone ... usually, I get there too late and her head is about to explode with frustration, followed immediately by mine.

Emily looks absolutely adorable!!