Friday, September 5, 2008

A Native American Festival Is A Kids' Key To Success



Last Saturday, My husband, daughter, son with blanket/a.k.a."silkie" in tow drove the 3.7 miles up the road to the Native American Dance & Music Festival, in Victor NY.Since I was young, Ganondagan has held a festival celebrating the culture and hertitage of the Haudenosaunee, or as the French called them, the Iroquois. Ever since I can remember, July meant we would hear the drums for miles. I still love the rythem and dense, rich sounds that resenate through the air, the trees and my soul.
I was so excited to take my kids to see all the beautiful clothing, eat the awesome food, gaze at all the beautiful hand crafted art and jewelry for sale, and particpate in the music, kids' activities and performances.

Not only was the festival great, but Ganondagan came through this year with an added bonus: Dancers from Hawii to perform some of their dances and my daughter and husband joined in to learn! (Where was my camera?! Of course it was, at home on my self, by the door!)
* Leilah Euseeio (center), 5, helps teach people Hukilau with her Hawaiian traditional dance group, Halau O 'Aulani (my daughter and husband were to the right...darn it!

We also enjoyed the dances and music from the Buffalo Creek Dancers and Young Spirit Dancers. I wish I had some pictures of these (the paper didn't even take them!)

What I learned at the Festival:

The best gift I recieved from our visit was what I learned from my children. When I told my kids where we were going, I said to the "Indian Festival". Of course this totally confused my daughter who loves to learn about all kids of cultures and immediately referred to India. I stood corrected and emphasized that the right way to refere this festival was "Native American Festival". Isn't it aweful to think that because of the use of the lable "Indian", our "American" culture attempted to strip Native Americans from their claim to their land and history?

The second gift my kids gave me was the effort I needed to place on the respect I for the Native American's clothing... A man walked by us (about 25 feet away when we first arrived). I was getting my 2.5 year old son out of the car and I caught my self in mid sentence. I was about to say, "Look, buddy look at the man's beautiful costume"; I quickly corrected myself to say "clothing" instead of "costume".
Some may think I am splitting hairs here because I wasn't intending to demean or offend the Native American culture with my comments and thoughts. But I realize the power of words. The energy that is given to our language is so important because it really does shape us and the way we think about things.

One of my goals is to consciously teach my kids kindness and respect. I would not have been doing so if I have used the above words.

What I hoped My Children Learned:

1) Admiration and Respect for another culture;

2) Having fun when you learn;

3) Mom makes mistakes;

4) Mommy learns too.
* Melenani Hirabayashi (center), 16, dances the Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai with her Hawaiian traditional dance group Halau O 'Aulani

You, Too should doa "Hoola"... It's Fun!

* Photographer JEN RYNDA, from the Democrate and Cronicle took these pictures

To learn more about the Haudenosaunee, or Iroquois go to http://www.ganondagan.org/

No comments: