Friday, September 5, 2008

Yoga: A Kids' Key To Focus and Become Self Aware

Did you know that yoga can be a holistic approach to teeth clunching (Bruxism), ADD, ODD, Autism, or Disorder of Sensory Integration? I mean, I knew yoga is great for helping me focus and become more self aware as well as being great for strengthing my muscles, increasing my flexibility and balance, increasing my endurance (especially in active yoga), and keeping my spine in-line, but I had no idea...

Yoga has been found to activate and stimulate glands to secrete befefical energy flow which then affects mood and then relaxes and organizes the nervous system.

Yoga uses bilateral movements (such as weight bearing, rotation, and core muscles) to balance the brain's hemishperes. It encourages the brain to work in harmony. The regualr practice of yoga helps us to achieve a higher level of cognitive (thinking) skills!

So, here are four really good reasons for our kids to practice yoga:

1. helps children calm down and focus

2. enhances physical and brain coordination

3. is a holistic approach to ADHD, Autism, DSI and other special needs

4. helps children become more self-aware of their bodies, minds, and feelings

Plus is it a great way to bond with your kids! Emmy and I have taken "Mommy and Me" yoga classes and Emmy is always asking "When we can do it, again?"

What I Hope Emmy (Soon Sammy too!) Learns:

1. A greater awareness of her body and how to focus her mind;

2. A love and need for daily exercise; and

3. Mommy loves to exercise with her!

What I Have Learned:

1. I didn't realize all the awesome benefits of yoga for children especailly those wit special needs!!
2. Greater peace, focus, and self acceptance; and

3. I could exercise with a 3 yr. old (now 4) and love it.

NAMESTE

No comments: