Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Marine Life Is A Key To Kids' Success


Recently we took a trip to Marine Land...Everybody Loves Marine Land! Well, everyone maybe, but me!

I LOVE the animals, but crowds, pushiness, rude behavior, and crankie hubby/kids I can do without!

I should have seen the writing on the wall. 11pm Friday evening hubby looked up what we needed to get back across the border from Canada into the US... two forms of picture ID and birth certificate.

Up to our safe we went and no birth certificate for me!! I thought I remember my mom bringing mine to me a while back and reminding me with a stern, pointed finger, "Put it In a SAFE spot!"

A safe spot would mean our safe, right? Along with the kids, Jeff's and all important paperwork...wills, power of attorney, living wills, Jeff's Army discharge papers, letters of accomodation, diplomas, morage (I'd rather do without), vehicle titles, etc... But no birth certificate for me!!

So a flurry went on to find it...every box was riffled through and every cubbie reorganized...nothing.

3am I call it a night and resign ot tell my children the trip to the dolphins and whales is put on hold...sigh... I hate to break promises!

Morning...the dreaded confession..Emmy's response..."Momy, can't Daddy take us? We can have a special "Daddy Day" (once a month my husband takes Em on a date)...and in the same breath..."Sam can stay home with you!"

"Brilliant idea Em. Let's talk with Daddy." Before I did I had a light bulb moment (very rare when it comes to sleep deprivation) "Call my mom, maybe she knows what I did with it."

Mom/Nana To The Rescue! It was in her safety box!

Long story short...

What I Learned:

1. Flush all memories having to do with resposibilities down the toilet during the period of Sam's Infancy. (too tired and overwhelmed!);

2. Try to be prepared before promising a trip; and

3. If you are planning to go to an amusment park in the summer, go on a week day and bring at least 2 changes of clothes for the kids. (due to the high heat, I encouraged lots of water/juice consumption...the normal diaper change should have increased in ratio!)

What I Hope My Kids Learned:

1. Be patient; wait your turn;

2. Even when we are grumpy, we are a family and we support one another; and

3. Water mammals are amazing!

No comments: