Friday, September 5, 2008

The Zoo Is A Kids' Key To Success



Last weekend we headed off (my dramtic hubby, my buttercup, and Super Sam Man) to visit the zoo and experience oneness with raw, untamed
animals. Well, not really, but we got as close to a polar bear than I ever imaginged!

This is the first time in about 15 years that I have been to the Rochester Senaca Park Zoo. I once vowed to visit the zoo in every place I visited. (I have been to a lot of zoos...especially since I live in one!)


As I became more mature and "worldly", I became saddened by the often frustrated, board looks of the animals contained behind "bars". (I don't know, it may be my self reflected/mirrored perception?) So I stopped wanting to go the zoo and supporting their efforts.

As an even more "worldly" mom, I understand the need for zoos better: the need for public education, research to maintain some species that would no longer exsist if it were not for zoos, and research about how people and wild animals can continue to thrive together but seperate.



I know I don't have all the answers, but I do know that advances in the habitats at zoos have become so incredible. Even though I wish our Seneca Park Zoo would renovate the Ape and Monkey habitats (they are so cramped) they have done some amazing work on the polar bear, elephant, cougar, and Sea Lion habitats. I actually touched "paws" with a polar bear happily swimming by (with two inches of one-way protected glass between us)! At that moment...life was exhilirating!

The Seneca Park Zoo has a new and improved fan.

What I Hope My Kids Learned:

1. To appreciate and love the efforts people are making to maintain harmony and education about wild life conservation;

2. When we see things that need to be changed, step up to the plate and make a difference; and

3. Most Improvements are not made without planning, dedication, and compassion.

What I learned:

1. The overwhelming need to participate in society...become a voice and be heard (I onced loved being a hermit);

2. A reminder, to keep my mind open and available to new experiences and knowledge.

3. The polar bear is classified as a marine mammal. Its feet are partially webbed for swimming, and its fur is water-repellent, and is not really white, its colorless. The fur are hollow tubes that scatter light to stay warm by channeling the sun's energy directly to the bear's skin.

** Thank You CharlesFS for the Polar Bear Photo

No comments: