Friday, September 5, 2008

Taking Time Is A Kids Key To Success

Well, I am attempting to put a little "God" in my life by making a commitment to attend church.

So, I was up early this morning, flipped some flap-jacks, harrassed my littlest to put on a "nice" shirt and packed the kids in the car with a bag full of crayons and paper (no lines, in deed!).

We drove the 2.5 miles into the village and yippee, found a parking spot right in front of the church... God must have really wanted me to be in the pews! We hopped out and headed for the closed doors. The ones that are normally opened-wide, informing us all, the welcome found inside.

On the door was a pink note stating today's service was a at local park. Another late arrival told me it was at Boughton Park. I asked the kids what they would like to do and simultaniously they said, "Let's go"! I think they thought the minister was going to be leading us down the swirly slide!

We drove off to Boughton Park to find the gates closed and no sign of other cars, and then headed to another near-by park... but no luck. Then a thought came to mind... "Why not go for a hike?" Can you really be any closer to God, than in nature?

I in my nicest pair of carpi's, my daughter in her favorite dress (the one with a layer of tu-tu material underneath), and Sammy in his airplane shirt (one battle I gave up on) headed into the wood on a muddy path to hike!
I wish I had my camera because Emmy was fluttering down the path like a fairy from A Mid-Summer's Night Dream and Sammy clung to my back with muddy feet swinging and singing "You Gotta Hold On Tight, Hold Tight..." (For those of you not familiar... a song from the Back Yardigans', Viking episode).

We hiked up some pretty steep hills and climbed to a sun drenched clearing where the Iroquoi had planted their fields of corn and came upon a weather worn bench readying us for a rest and reflection.

I asked the kids, "Is there anything you want to tell God today?" (because this was a better place than any other. Emmy informed me with her legs crossed and her hands gently laying in her lap that this is "simply a perfect place...can this be our special place, mom? thank you for bringing me here. Can we cuddle?" And Sammy pointing, said, "Momma, look bird flying... Gotta 'old on tight, 'old tight".

What I hoped my kids learned....

1. You don't have to be in church to worship God.
2. If things don't work out like planned we will be resourceful and find something just as good or even better.
3. Momma, like God, will love them and shine down on them... always.

What I learned...

1. It is easier to hike in our good clothes than I thought.
2. My kids and I can find freedom, peace, love, acceptance, and joy in a spontaneous decision.
3. No man-made church can replicate the harmony and love found in natureI want to challenge myself and hopefully, you with your help.

No comments: