Friday, September 5, 2008

Parents' Dreams For Their Kids is A Key

I want to challenge myself and hopefully, you with your help.

I get so caught up trying to do things: raise kids, care for a household, checking stuff off, my ever so long, to-do lists. I don't slow down to ask myself some important questions to make sure I am on track, have you?

What do you think is the most important factor to help create your kids's ideal life? Is it education? Is it the tools and skills he/she will acquire? Is it the values you are trying to instill? Is it the way you are helping your child to perceive and look at life? What are your expectations for your child? What have you been putting off to do with your child? Have you ever wondered what would happen if you made decisions about your child's life without fear?

These are really important questions? Would you agree? The last question (...without fear...) can that really happen when you are a parent?

I spent too much of life in limbo, waiting for the right things to happen to in order for me to then do the things I want to do. I realize that this has been my excuse, my reason for not "going for it". I don't want to jump into something spontaneously without clear thinking and thoroughness, but have you put off what you think will really make a difference with your child, something that you think will fill an empty spot in his/her soul? I have.

Will join me to take on a challenge? I want to start doing this for my kids, but I need your help...

Can you write down 3 goals and share them with me?

My top three are (they aren't super crazy, nor exciting) except to me:
1) No longer offer material rewards for making the right decision;
2) Keep my cool and patience at the end of the day when they are tired and are bickering or whining; and
3) Help them to learn Chinese;

It is a good place to start, isn't it? Tell me where you are so I can learn from you too!

No comments: